Madelyn Elizabeth Has Arrived!!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, July 11, 2011

She's 5 Months Old

I say it every month. I just can't believe Mady is already 5 months old.


Mady seems to have changed so much in just the past two weeks. She shakes her head "no" with such gusto you'd think she knows what she's doing. She had rolled from back to belly 4 times now....I'm conflicted on this one because it means we're going to have to stop swaddling as she gets better at it. ::Gulp:: Her fine motor skills are really starting to develop. She knows what to do when she sees her bottle (Opens her mouth and holds her hands out to put it in her mouth), she still loves music and loves to "Shake it, shake it, shake it".

She's so funny I can't even stand it.

Still not sleeping through the night, although we seem to be getting down to waking only once MAYBE twice each night now. Yay. She started solids and isn't a great fan of cereal. I started sweet potatoes yesterday (one day after hitting 5 months old) and about 12 hours later, she had hives. All over the trunk of her body. I'll spare you the pictures, but it was horrible. Of course this happened at 10:30 at night, so I called the nurse line, she suggested cool compresses and hydrocortisone cream and a trip to the pediatrician in the AM. She was breathing fine and the hives weren't really bothering her, so I was okay with that. This morning the hives were gone, but I still called the pedi because she's had a rash on and off for over a week now. Long story short, the dr. doesn't think the hives are from sweet potatoes, she says it usually takes at least two exposures for an allergy to something like potatoes. She thinks the hives may be part of a mild virus Mady could have had. Just to be safe though, we'll stick to just cereal until she's 6 months old. Then we'll start again with sweet potatoes to see if anything happens then. My poor baby. It's too bad, because she LOVED the sweet potatoes. Oh and the rash? More of her exczema. This kid and her skin.

Mady weights 13 pounds and our unscientific length measurement says she is 23.5 inches long. That probably isn't very accurate though, since we had a squirmy baby and a tape measure.

Mady is just a delight and is getting to be so much fun now. I keep telling her to stop growing up though. =)

1 comment: