After all of that happened, 5 days later, I ended up in the hospital with a kidney stone. It was the size of a pencil eraser, so there was no way I was going to pass it. I ended up having surgery to remove it and all is well now.
We continue our medical journey with Brett. He has not returned to work since before we left for Jamaica. He's been on short term disability since October 15th. Craziness. He's still in a lot of pain and can't really function normally.
We've started the process of being referred to see the Chief of Rheumatology at the University of Chicago Hospital. We're hoping he can give us some insight into what's happening. In the meantime, we saw Brett's current rheumatologist on Friday. She has finally decided that Brett's problem isn't reactionary arthritis and is more of a chronic condition. Finally. So, she's going to try to start him on the arthritis medicine, Humira. It's a very intensive drug, he'll have to give himself injections twice a month for the next year. He's terribly unhappy about it, but, the alternative isn't any better. Living like he is now isn't an option. We'll see what happens.
And finally, on December 5th, it was announced that the office Brett and I work in is closing for good. I had my last day this past Thursday. I sobbed like a baby all day long. During the wedding planning and through Brett's illness, my co-workers have been an immense sense of strength for the both of us. They visited us in the hospital, brought us food while we were both unable to function, some attended and even stood up in our wedding. I'd been there for 6 years, Brett for 5. I was absolutely devastated. We got a very good severance package, better than most places I've ever heard of. So, I guess that kind of helps....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm so sorry Brett's arthritis has turned chronic. I hope that with the help of the medication the pain subsides within the next year.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the job loss too. :(