I haven't updated my blog in so long. I've been avoiding it. Well, that's not entirely true.
We had a great going away party the Saturday before we moved. Family and friends....it was such a nice party. Brett's best friend Mike made the trip to Chicago with him to help us move. So, it was almost a wedding party reunion, minus a few...and adding a few. It was a great night. On Sunday we packed the truck and hit the road around 6 PM. Mike's mom was letting us stay at her house in Des Moines that night. Which was a huge relief. We drove for 5 hours and were then able to sleep there. It helped Bailey, it was a good stopping point...just a great idea all the way around. On Monday morning, we drove 4 more hours and then I was officially a Sioux City resident.
I walked into the house and...oh my. It is NOT pleasant. Sadly, it's a LOT nicer than it was 6 weeks ago. I have to say, I'm grateful for all of the work that everyone did on this house in order for us to live here. Even still, I hate it. It feels so dirty, the walls are CEMENT (so I can't hang any pictures or anything), the bedroom fits our bed, Bailey on the floor and a small bedside table...that's IT. The closets are....tiny. We're living on the main floor, which consists of two bedrooms, a living room, make shift dining room, and a kitchen. Which would be fine, but every room is TINY. The only furniture we have in the house is our bed, that small bedside table, a TV and stand, a couch and a chair. The basement and upstairs...yeah they haven't been cleaned yet. I went upstairs on a "brave" day. Ew. So gross. I refuse to even open the basement door. The front door won't close, so we have the couch in front of it. I don't know. It's gross. But, as Brett says, it's temporary and free. So, I'll make due. I'm definitely getting used to it, which is making it a bit better, but, it's not GOOD by any means.
I'm job hunting like crazy. I just need to find a job for insurance purposed. It doesn't even have to be a great job...as we don't really need it for the money, and it'll only be until I have a baby and then I can quit forever. Well, quit until our kids are old enough and Brett will then probably make me go back to work for whatever reason. Basically, I'm applying for anything and everything that makes even the tiniest bit of sense. We'll see what happens.
I'm itching like crazy for a baby again. It seems so close, yet so far away.
I'm trying very hard to adjust to this new life. I have good and bad days. The good days are great. Bad days, I cry and cry and cry. Brett's been great about doing just what I want him to do in order for me to adjust. He's trying to get me introduced to lots of people, he comes home directly from work...rather than stopping to have a beer on the way home, he lets me decide what I do and don't want to do each day. When I cry, he just asks what he can do. He's really trying. He's a good guy.
We didn't have TV or internet for over a week, so I think that made it harder for me as well. I was bored to tears, and I communicate with friends mostly through the internet. So I was very alone for the first week I was here. It was awful. Now that I have TV and internet back, I'm doing a lot better. It's very weird to not have any connection to the outside world. I had no idea what was happening ANYWHERE. In the world, with my friends, anything. We didn't even have a radio. It was so quiet here. I did a lot of reading, but, I was miserable. Glad that's over.
Okay, I think that's it for now. I'm going to try to take some pictures of the town sometime soon. I always pictured Iowa to be like the movie "Sleeing With The Enemy". Y'know that movie with Julia Roberts? She moved to Cedar Rapids, IA after escaping from her husband and I thought all of IA would look like that town did. I mean, in reality, I knew Sioux City DIDN'T look that way since I've been coming here for almost 6 years now. But, even still, I kind of had that thought in my head. It certainly DOESN'T look like the movie. It's not a pretty town...and I'll prove it in the next week or so.
Sigh. This house is only temporary...and things can only go up from here....I'm trying to stay positive and adjust in a healthy manner....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

It's great to have you back!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry the move and adjusting to the new house has been tough. I hope it gets easier and better soon. ((hugs))
GL with finding a job..it's so tough out there right now..
I hope things get easier for you! Go for a weekend trip to the Field of Dreams! =)
ReplyDelete