Madelyn Elizabeth Has Arrived!!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

To Add To My Frustration

**Warning: Whiny, pregnant woman post ahead...**

We were supposed to take a breast feeding class tonight. I've been waiting for this class for MONTHS. I am so intimidated by breast feeding and all of the books just make me feel more inferior. They just have SO much information that I finish reading a portion and think, "Hunh?". It's all wonderful information, don't get me wrong....it's just so much.

Anyway, I really wanted to take this class because I learn by experience. I was hoping the teacher of the class would be able to SHOW me the things I've been reading about in books. I was also looking forward to class because husbands are encouraged to attend. In class, they have a portion for the husbands, on how to support their wives through the sometimes difficult portions of breast feeding. In case you haven't noticed in some of my posts, Brett isn't the best at "being there". I was hoping this class would, in essence, show him how to help me through difficult times, rather than ignore the situation.

Class was cancelled due to weather. It isn't even SNOWING anymore. It's just cold. We live in the midwest, we should be okay with cold. There isn't another class until March. I've been crying all morning. (Which, I totally understand is 35+ week pregnancy hormones.) I just feel that I really needed this class. I know the nurses at the hospital will help me once Mady arrives. I know they will. I just wanted to be able to prepare in advance.

Grrrr....

6 comments:

  1. Oh no! Can you check another hospital or community center in the area? Even if you have to make a drive, it would be worth it. Otherwise, I think some hospitals have LC's that should be able to help you. Sorry you are upset :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks! I am sorry that it didn't work out!

    And, I just wanted to add that I breastfed both of my other sons for a year each (Something I plan on doing this time around as well). It really isn't as intimidating as it all sounds. Invest in a good breastpump, get some cute nursing covers and feed on demand to keep your supply up with the baby's needs.

    Plus, if you aren't sure of what you are doing, there are usually lactation consultants at the hospital that can help you learn to latch the baby on properly and show you different nursing positions (I didn't know for my oldest son's first few months of life that I could actually nurse while lying down - talk about handy info that I could have used for those middle of the night feedings!)

    And...now that we are on our third, my husband hasn't been the greatest at "being there" either. (Something he's never been super stellar at to begin with). So don't get too down, you aren't alone there. Men just don't get it sometimes.

    Good luck! (Sorry for writing a small book instead of a short comment, by the way. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out youtube, I know but they have some good videos about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Utilize the lactation consultant at your hospital---they get RIGHT in there and when you have a baby handy, you'll get MUCH more out of it! You'll be fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katy, 9 times out of 10 the baby knows what to do when it comes to breastfeeding. I nursed both of my boys. The first for four months and the second for eight months. Every baby is different. You will be a wonderful mom. Don't worry about everything you read. Not everything you read is for you. :)
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey I missed my class too due to Ian's early arrival. I had no experience and no one that I knew to lean on. That being said, he latched on and knew what to do from the start. The nurses on the maternity floor and the new mother floor were both fabulous. Any questions at all, they helped. And I had them double check to make sure I was doing it right. That worked out great for me and I bet it will for you too!!

    ReplyDelete