There is a great project that has been introduced called "Bloggers Unite: Project IF". It's meant to unite infertility bloggers and bring more awareness to the infertility cause.
The first part of the project (which I wasn't aware of in time) was for women (men?) to submit their "What if..." questions in relation to TTC. The second part is now underway, and it's taken those "What if..." questions and challeneged people to blog about their feelings on a particular question. This is just a great way to help relate one another. Sort of a "you're not alone in your thoughts" typed thing.
The "What if..." I choose is:
"What if every state passed a law that would require insurance companies to cover infertility treatments and A.R.T. so that people like me and my husband wouldn't have to choose between their mortgage and having a family?"
First off, less than a year ago, we moved from a state with mandated IF coverage to a state with NO mandated IF coverage. Although IL may not have required insurance companies to give unlimited infertility help....it definitely has more IF treatment coverage than Iowa. This makes me incredibly angry. And this, more than anything else, makes me wonder about our move.
What if we never moved? Would our IF treatment be limitless? Well, I'm sure we'd have our own personal limits, but, how would our plan of attack change? Right now Brett and I are struggling with how far we can go with treatment anytime soon. In my little world, I say, "Well, of course we're going to do anything we can to get pregnant. No question." In Brett's reality world, he says, "But, we just don't have unlimited amounts of money to throw around."
If we lived in a state mandated IF coverage state, we'd at least, hopefully, have some help in our IF troubles. Now granted, my insurance does cover diagnosis of treatment. But, that's it. If we want to do anything like IUI or IVF, that's completely out of our pockets. And at this point in time, with the economy the way it is, we're already carrying two mortgages. We have a car payment, we have LIFE going on around us. How far do we extend ourselves before saying, "A baby is priceless, but, we have to have our limits"?
Gosh, if this country passed a law mandating infertility coverage, so many prayers would be answered. Brett and I are just two of the millions that this would help IMMENSELY. The possibilities would be endless.
And now I'm supposed to post a positive "What If..."
"What if we make all of this work and we are blessed with a beautiful, healthy baby sometime in the near future?"
Plain and simple, our prayers will be answered. We will have a little piece of heaven with OUR eyes, my loyalty and Brett's sense of logic.
I can't wait.
For more information on infertility, please visit this link
For more information on National Infertility Awareness Week, please visit this site
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Here through the What if project...
ReplyDeletewhat a great blog...and what a great post. I too would love for our country to start covering infertility. It would have made our life so much easier, because right now we're broke, we have sons, but we have a debt that makes it hard to raise them with all the "extras" that you want to give yourself and your children.
my prayers that your dream comes true soon, that you are holding your child sooner than later.