Madelyn Elizabeth Has Arrived!!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"The pressure....of a name..."

To quote Kit from "Pretty Woman" (my favorite movie EVER).

My poor little baby girl is never going to have a name.

Brett and I cannot agree on a name at all. We can't even compromise on a style of name. I love, love, love traditional/classic names. Emma, Katherine, Sarah, etc. Brett likes modern/trendy names. Kelsey, Madison, etc. I just can't get on board with a modern name, and he thinks all of my suggestions will make her sound like "an old lady".

I'm going to have to move on to a second name book because "The Book of 1000 Baby Names" only had about 10 that I highlighted...and I know Brett's going to hate them. I like a strong name, with tradition or history to it. And I just can't find one.

I think the problem is, I've been set on one name forever. FOREVER. And I'm waiting for Brett to give in, and I don't think he will. I feel like Miss L is already supposed to have this name and I don't know how to let it go.

We have struggled with a girl name since we found out I was pregnant. The boy name? We pretty much had it decided. At the very least, we were able to compromise and make a boy's name work for both of us. We kept saying, "If this baby is a girl, we're in trouble."

We're in trouble. A good trouble, of course, but...she may leave the hospital with the name "Hey You".

5 comments:

  1. That's always how it goes. We have had a girl name picked out since before we got married, but we have completely run out of boy names.

    So, of course, we would have another boy. :)

    Ah, decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. I can understand your struggle. We know our future daughter's 1st name (naming her after my grandma), but haven't really settled on any boy names.. and we jokingly say "If we have a boy first, we're screwed." lol
    Do you have any family names?

    Good Luck. I'm sure no matter what name you pick it will fit her perfectly. :)

    FYI that's one of my favorite movies too! I <3 Julia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we fought too. And I got one part of what I always wanted. When I first found out I was pregnant, I was in church when they read the story of Hannah and Samuel. He just had to be Samuel because truly "for this child I have prayed." What about Hannah? Its traditional, but its been a little more trendy too lately. Something to think about.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check out this website. I just discovered it tonight.
    http://www.babycenter.com/baby-names

    I like that it gives you suggestions based on a name that you like. Maybe you can find a similar one to yours or his that you both agree on. Good luck though, this is probably the toughest part of pregnancy (for me anyways!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is another good one. Make sure you look at the tabs at the top - Considering this name? and Similar names.
    http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/

    ReplyDelete